Science Fiction Talks and Conventions
There are three great talks of interest to all fans of speculative fiction coming up soon, as well as two conventions where you can meet fans of the genre.
- Next week our own Chris McKitterick will be giving the keynote address, "Science Fiction: Mythologies for a Changing Age," at the University of Central Oklahoma's annual Liberal Arts Symposium XXIV. The Symposium lasts from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on February 29. The symposium is being organized by Young Gunn and Ad Astra Scholarly Editor Professor Mark Silcox.
The keynote will be from noon until 1 p.m. in the Pegasus Theater of the Liberal Arts Building at the University of Central Oklahoma, Edmond, OK.
- At the University of Kansas, Professor Nöel Sturgeon will be presenting this year's Richard W. Gunn Memorial Lecture, "Avatar and Activism: Ecological Indians, Disabling Militarism, and Science Fiction Imaginaries." Nöel is a longtime friend of the CSSF, a juror of the Theodore Sturgeon Memorial Award, and last year donated most of her father's papers to the Science Fiction Collection at the Spencer Research Library.
The talk will be Monday, March 5, from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Malott Room in the KU Student Union in Lawrence, KS.
- Noted science fiction author Cory Doctorow will be Wichita, KS for the Kansas Library Association's "Evening with an Author" talk. Dcotorow's talk, "Copyrights and Human Rights" will involve his studies into intellectual property laws and how they affect our freedoms and right to privacy.
Doctorow's talk will be on Wednesday, April 11, from 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. in the Hyatt Regency Wichita.
- Planet Comicon, Kansas City's pop-culture and comic book convention, will be held Saturday, March 24, and Sunday, March 25, at the Overland Park International Trade Center in Overland Park, KS. It costs $20 for the weekend, $15 for a single day, and it's a good way to meet fellow fans of the genre. While the convention mostly revolves around comics, there are also guests from various science fiction shows and movies.
- And for those long-range planners, here's a reminder that ConQuest 43 will be held May 25-27 at the Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, in Kansas City, MO. Guests of Honor include noted editor Gardner Dozois, local author Shannon Butcher, and Robin Bailey. The CSSF and AboutSF will have panels at the convention as well, some put this one on your calendars.